In honor of Valentine’s Day being just around the corner, I thought I’d share this festive heart day inspired treat. Bright, juicy, peak-of-the-season strawberries dragged through freshly whipped cream will always be a tasty idea. The flavors are perfectly matched: contrasting enough to keep your palate interested, but complementary in their sweetness. Creamy white chocolate with strawberries adds an elevated punch to one of my schoolyard favorites—Rice Krispies Treats. Imagine turning up with a plate of these, there’s no way your Valentine wouldn’t be in love… with the dessert at least.
- 12 ounces (1 box) Rice Krispies
- 16-ounce bag small marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- ½ cup freeze-dried strawberries, roughly chopped
- Few drops of red food coloring (optional)
- 2 bars of white chocolate roughly chopped
- Brown the butter in a large pot over medium heat until it starts smelling nutty and turns a pale brown color. Then add the marshmallows and let them melt completely, stirring, then add the food coloring (if you choose to use it) until you get your desired pink or red color.
- Stir until the color is evenly spread. Then add the Rice Krispies, freeze-dried strawberries, chocolate, and sea salt. Mix it all together and pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle a tiny bit more salt on top before they cool, careful not to pack it in. If you press down on the Rice Krispies, they’ll get hard and crunchy.
- Let them cool to room temp and then cut up and enjoy!