Calling this the world’s best vegan hot chocolate is a bold statement, I know. If I’m being frank, I haven’t tried every vegan hot chocolate in the world or every hot chocolate period for that matter, but this is the best vegan hot chocolate I’ve ever had in my humble opinion so I’m incredibly justified in this statement. I remember my grandmother making this incredibly rich and delectable hot chocolate on the very rare cold nights there were in Miami and no other could ever compare to it. Hence, I’m pretty picky when it comes to hot chocolate. Too many recipes are too watery, too bland, not chocolatey enough or sweet enough for me. I’ve tried so many. I don’t want my hot chocolate cloyingly sweet, but I don’t like it too bitter either. Well, this hot chocolate is my favorite ever. It’s rich and creamy and chocolatey, as well as perfectly sweet for my taste. So while the Bomb Cyclone is freezing over all your winter plans this hot chocolate, unfortunately, won’t solve global warming but as sure as hell will make your winter better and tastier.
- One 13.5 oz can “lite” coconut milk (this truly is the best milk to make hot chocolate, I would advise against subbing as others I’ve tried were not good. Lite leaves NO coconut taste!)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 heaping tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup, depending on how sweet you’d like
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground espresso or instant coffee (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: whipped cream, shaved chocolate, marshmallows, etc.
- Add all of the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) to a blender and blend for a few minutes on high until completely smooth and frothy.
- Add the mixture to a pot over medium heat and then add the chocolate chips. Once it begins to bubble, whisk continuously for about 4 minutes until well heated and has thickened just a bit. You don’t want to overcook it, or it will get too thick. I found this to be the perfect level of sweetness, but if you want yours a tad sweeter, add a little more maple syrup. Remove and pour into mugs and add whipped cream, shaved chocolate, marshmallows, cinnamon, etc. Enjoy!
- This makes enough for 2 mugs. If you are just wanting 1 serving, then place the rest in the fridge and when you are ready to use it, give it a good whisk and reheat on low.