I don’t know about you, but fall and winter flavors are some of my absolute favorites. A fall favorite recipe is stuffed bell peppers.; they are tasty and simple to whip up and during the holidays you can put a festive spin on them. I now introduce you to these stuffed bell pepper Jack-o-Lanterns!
If you’re looking for a little pumpkin carving practice, these bell peppers are for you. I have to admit, they’re way easier to carve than the beloved gourds and they turned out just as cute.
- 6 bell peppers
- 4 vegan apple sage sausage
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Set one cup of quinoa to cook on the stove.
3. Chop up the onion and put it into a pan along with the olive oil and cook on medium high until the onion begins to brown.
4. While the onions are cooking, cut a cup of cherry tomatoes into halves.
5. Once the onions are starting to brown, stir in tomatoes and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Remove the sausage from the casing and break into small pieces. Cook it for several minutes until brown.
7. Combine quinoa, onion, tomato and sausage pieces in a large bowl and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cut the tops off of your bell peppers and remove all of the seeds. Cut out a cute or scary face, just like you would on a Jack-o-Lantern!
9. Fill the bell peppers with the mixture and set into a glass casserole dish.
10. Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!