On the fifth day of Christmas, your true love gives to thee snowball cookies. Call it what you may Russian tea cookies, Mexican wedding cookies, or snowball cookies these cookies are always a crowd pleaser that pair excellent with tea, coffee, hot cocoa or really any warming beverage. And honestly what pairs better with this years first snowfall no other than snowball cookies.
- 2 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp of almond extract
- 1-2 tbs of amaretto (almond liqueur)
- optional: more powdered sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the butter with the powdered sugar, and beat in a medium bowl or stand mixer until light and fluffy and add almond extract and amaretto.
- Mix the flour and nuts in a separate bowl. Then mix all ingredients together to form a dough. Shape into balls, place on a cookie sheet, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned.
- Fill a bowl with powdered sugar, and roll the warm cookies in this bowl to coat. Let cool and enjoy!