On the eighth day of Christmas, your true love gives to thee, holiday sugar cookies. They are the classic, quintessential Christmas sugar cookie all tender and perfect, just dying to be frosted and brought to all of your holiday gatherings. Bake them, frost them, decorate them, and most importantly eat them while dancing around to Michael Buble’s Christmas album and watching Home Alone. Your friends and family will forget all about the gifts and nose dive into these bad boys, guaranteed.
- 1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose
- 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup organic grass-fed butter
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- Splash non-dairy milk
- Freeze-dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a mixer to cream together coconut oil and sugars. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla and continue mixing.
- In a bowl, add flour, arrowroot, baking powder, and salt. Stir gently with a spoon and then slowly add to the wet ingredients in small increments while blending.
- If the dough is clumpy, add 1-2 tsp dairy-free milk and mix once more until a dough is formed. Only add enough dairy-free milk to form a dough – adding too much will cause the dough to lose its shape.
- On a well-floured surface using a floured rolling pin, gently roll out half of the dough into a large 1/4-inch thick circle. Add more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Then transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Once the sheet is full, transfer to freezer to let shapes harden. While the first batch is freezing, continue reforming and rolling out dough until all dough is used.
- Once the cookies are firm bake for 8-9 minutes, or until slightly risen and very, very light golden brown on the edges. You don’t want to overbake these or they will get too crispy. Immediately use a spatula to gently transfer baked cookies onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Repeat this process until all cookies are baked.
- Enjoy as is, or prepare frosting by adding softened butter to the large mixing bowl from earlier. Beat with a mixer, then add powdered sugar a little at a time until a thick frosting has formed. Thin with a little dairy-free milk until spreadable. If it gets too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add just a little more dairy-free milk. Frost cookies and top with desired toppings. Enjoy!